Sunday, November 10, 2013

Forging Ahead

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret 
of being content in any and every situation..."   
Philippians  4:10-12

In the course of daily life, we all occasionally find ourselves in challenging circumstances that present us with blessed growth opportunities. Whenever we are inconvenienced by health issues, when relationships become difficult, or when work worries prevail, it is often easy to succomb to negativity, depression, and, even despair. Yet in today's Scripture, Paul tells us he has 'learned to be content, whatever the circumstances.' So how can that possibly be???

I suspect that the Apostle Paul came to understand that contentment is a choice. It is a willful decision to forge ahead, despite being presented with unsavory, unyielding, even uncomfortable circumstances. Yet believing Christians know well, 'this, too shall pass...'

For me, contentment predictably comes when I am able to get my focus off of my self, my own situation, issues and pain, my own lacking, and squarely focus on Jesus Christ. The Great Healer, Blessed Comforter. Supreme Protector. Unconditional Lover of your soul and mine. 

For when you put aside every distraction that comes your way, and discontent is truly a distraction, and consciously focus on the majesty of Jesus, everything else pales in comparison to His saving power. Ask Him for whatever you need, and He will change your lot in His own special time and way!

Personally, I see my life as a series of miracles--A miracle in progress. Jesus has brought me up from the pit of childhood trauma, poverty, long-term infirmity and disability, and the travesty of despair. He has blessed me with all that I have, and provided for all that I need. He has surrounded me with great family and friends--people of great integrity and faith-- for companionship along this journey; and the result is strong faith in Him, contentment, compassion for others, and a grateful heart, which surely are as healing aloe for every situation in this waiting room we call life. / amg

Adele M. Gill  2013  Copyright

No comments:

Post a Comment